Sunday, April 2, 2017

Spring Break at the Battlefield

I can’t say my Spring Break was the most exciting but a little R&R was in the cards.

Although our busy schedule has kept me from doing this much recently, I love to run. When I have the opportunity and need a change from running in my neighborhood I always go out to the Stones River National Battlefield.
https://www.nps.gov/stri/index.htm

With close to 7 miles of trails, some paved, some not, you can really get back to nature. The trail sporadically has cutouts of soldiers with their rifles aimed, canons at the ready, and ammunition carts placed strategically near the trails. As you walk, bike, or run along taking in the sights you have to sometimes wonder what the rocks and trees on the property have seen.

Another thing I am is a nature photographer. Not the professional kind but I like to pretend. I do admit it’s hard to run when I’m constantly stopping to take photos but I enjoy noticing everything out there. Below is a montage of some of my favorite photos I took while running a total of 13.5 miles at the Battlefield last week.

I do tend to stick to the pavement but I have wanted to try trail running. Park rangers recently added a trail through the woods and I took it the day after a heavy rain. I had to dodge some puddles and mud but I loved the scent of the woods and I breathed it in deeply. During the week I don’t come across many people on the trails and I’m fine with that. I do get a little nervous running by myself but I try to be aware of my surroundings and I carry my phone with me. I have never had any problems.

If you are ever in the area I encourage you to stop by Stones River National Battlefield. Lace up those sneakers or bring your bike and see what you can experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment