Saturday, April 8, 2017

Maybe you like to run and compete in races.
Maybe you don’t like the crowds at a race.
or getting up early to go to one
or you can’t get off work to even make a race
or you have to travel to a race and deal with traffic or book a hotel.
Behold – the Virtual Race!

I love to run races and get a medal for my efforts. I admit I am a “race medal junkie”. It's my favorite part of a race. It seems like half the races I run don’t offer any. Luckily I have discovered virtual races. Virtual races are just like traditional races where you can pay a registration fee and get a shirt, medal, and bib. You can run, walk or hike your race wherever you want with whomever you want. Even on a treadmill! Racers report their time and then the company will send you a medal for completing the race. Your “proof” of running is when you submit your race time to your account. The company will send your finisher's medal after you report your time.

In January I signed up for two virtual races. The first race is called “Happy New Year 2017” and I found it here https://yes.fit You are required to log 31.4 miles in as many activities as you need to get it done. After you input your distance photographs of the race route became available and a map tracks your distances around New York city. I just reached my goal last month and got my medal in the mail this week.
Happy New Year 2017 Finisher's Medal


Medals from my virtual runs
The next virtual race I plan on signing up for is the National Park Week race put on by https://vr.redpodium.com/np-17 I can choose to do a 5K, 10K, or Half Marathon. Another benefit of a virtual race is that a lot of the races support an organization. You can get your exercise and help a non-profit at the same time. A portion of the proceeds from this race will benefit the National Park Foundation.

I suggest you do an internet search for virtual races, choose one, and give it a try. I think there are many reasons why you'll enjoy doing them!

No comments:

Post a Comment