Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Mount Halealakla National Park

One year ago I went from sea level to 10,023 feet above sea level at Mount Halealakla National Park. We went on a whim and I’m so glad we did.

My husband was sent to work in Maui, Hawaii for 3 weeks in April 2016. I took full advantage of the opportunity. I would drive the guys to work each morning and while they worked, I played. Earlier in the day I had gone to the Maui Ocean Center to see the aquarium. My husband called to say they were finished early for the day so I made the 45-minute drive to pick them up. We discussed our plans for the evening and decided to head up to Mount Halealakla.

The drive up the mountain is full of twists, turns, drop-offs, and large tour buses so having an experienced and comfortable driver at the wheel is beneficial. It was evening at the time we went so the visitor’s center was closed. The drive to the summit took us through different habitats; dense forests, mountainous terrain, and desert like conditions at the very top. Rumor has it that NASA tests vehicles at the summit that they will send to the moon because conditions are very similar. I must agree that the terrain resembled moon pictures that I had seen in books.

Scientists still do research on the summit.
The summit wasn’t very crowded so we chose a place to sit. We didn’t have long to wait to watch the sun make its descent. I was glad Todd lent me his hooded jacket because we really weren’t prepared for the chilly temps and wind. Weather conditions at the top vary greatly from the base. You have to pack warm clothes because temperatures can get down to freezing. It really is amazing to be up above the clouds and to see the rays of the sun shining across the mountain. It would recommend you put it on your “must see” list if you plan on ever being in Maui.

A Silversword that we saw at the summit.

Read more about this National Park at https://www.nps.gov/hale/index.htm To watch the sunrise you now must buy a ticket. The cost is only $1.50 a car plus the cost to enter the park. Be sure to dress warmly and pack food and drinks. Get comfortable and watch the most amazing sunset, or sunrise, anywhere.

Above the clouds!

No comments:

Post a Comment